Released June, 1997
The Pros:Extensive plugin support. Not a computer resource hog like WMP. Great UI, with easy to access library, playlist, EQ, visualization, etc.
The Cons:Windows Only. Owned by AOL. Default installation includes a lot of useless bloat.
Winamp is a popular media player developed by Nullsoft that was first released by Justin Frankel in 1996. Version 5.5 was released on October 10th, 2007 marking the 10th anniversary of the software and includes many upgrades includes a new Bento skin.
Winamp first gained popularity in 1997 when the new mp3 format of compressed digital music first made its appearance on the Internet.
Winamp 1.0 - the classic look
- audio formats: MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis MIDI, MOD, MP1, MP2, M4A, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WAV, WMA, Chiptunes, and more
- video formats: AVI, MPEG, NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video)
- includes many visualizations with full-screen support
- keyboard shortcuts
- extensive plug-in support for input/output, sound and visual effects
- skinnable with many freely available skins
- free access to streaming media including: Internet radio and XM Satellite radio (powered by AOL radio)
- ripping, encoding, burning in Winamp Pro version
- support for portable media players
Winamp 5.5 - the Bento skin (click to see full)
It is currently the second most popular media player to Microsoft's Windows Media Player. As of 2005, Winamp had approximately 55 million user worldwide. It is available in two versions: 1) a fully-functional free version, and 2) a Pro version available for $19.95 that adds extensive ripping, encoding, and burning functionality. See Winamp.com for more information and to download the player.
User Reviews (37)
Not a computer resource hog like WMP
Great UI, with easy to access library, playlist, EQ, visualization, etc.
Excellent Internet radio integration
Slick look with cool visualizations
Multiple sound card support: listen on your hi-fi card while Windows gets the onboard chip.
Auto-Tag feature: good for roll your own mp3s and to correct these collectors items.
modular design, most useless bloat can be removed
default installation includes a lot of useless bloat
poor for most things besides listening to music
You may also like...