Released November, 2003
The Pros:Free, powerful text/source editor. Powerful regular expression text search and replace. Tabbed editing environment.
The Cons:VERY annoying software update nag notification. No Linux version. Newer version does not have the ability to view hexadecimal files.
Notepad++ is a free, open-source text editor program often used as a replacement to Windows Notepad, and as a fairly powerful source code editor. Notepad++ has been downloaded more than 8 million times from Sourceforge.
net, has been translated into many languages, and includes numerous third-party plugins. The project is based on the Scintilla editor component and is headed by a single developer named Don Ho. Notepad++ supports syntax highlighting and autocompletion of many popular programming languages and scripts, and is fully customizable. It is a tab-based editing environment allowing you to have multiple files open at once in one instance of the program.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Multi-Document tabbed environment
- Multi-View - a) place two documents side-by-side, b) view a single document in two different positions
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ‘N' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection (unsaved, file changed, file moved, etc.)
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Bookmarks and line numbers
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
User Reviews (18)
Free, powerful text/source editor
Powerful regular expression text search and replace
Tabbed editing environment
Customizable interface (colors, fonts, etc.)
Language-specific and user-defined syntax highlighting
Multi-view for visualizing documents side-by-side
Very Simple and well organized
VERY annoying software update nag notification
Newer version does not have the ability to view hexadecimal files.
Is very slow with large files.
Does not have "Column Mode"
You may also like...